Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

My entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2010 is actually the first quilt I ever finished. Not the first one I started, not the first one I cut and pieced, not the first one I started quilting. But the first one I actually finished. (OK—I had made a quilted pillow before. Does that count? It was about a 12" block, with no binding. So I say no, it doesn't count.)

Finished in August 2006, this is Zachary's quilt.


Yes, I look at it now and cringe. There are so many things I would do differently. But Zachary loved it, as did his mom, who has a tendency to buy pieced blocks at thrift stores and frame them.

So, the story behind this. I wanted to make a quilt for the baby because his mom loves quilts. Choosing the fabric was another story. It had to be OK for a boy or girl. And I really wanted to find some animal prints. Zachary has an older brother and sister. His brother is autistic—but quite high-functioning. But there was a lot of stress about how big brother (who was about 7 at the time) would accept the new baby, as change is very hard for him.

Big brother loves animals. Loves them. And can tell you all about them. Everything I know about bullfrogs I learned from this boy. So I thought maybe an animal quilt would give the new baby something that big brother could discuss. But a babyish print would be good, so that it clearly belonged to the baby.



Like a true beginner, I chose my pattern before I chose the fabric. Which was not a great idea. But it had lots of squares. Big squares! I did a simple diagonal quilting pattern, as well as some square outlines and straight lines.

All in all it worked well. I finished it, after all. In a timely fashion! The whole family loved it. And I realized that making a baby quilt is much much faster than crocheting a baby afghan.

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

6 comments:

  1. I like your quilt a lot! Bright and happy !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should be proud of your quilt. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It' a wonderful quilt and I love your story. I think we all look back on our projects and wonder how much better they could have been if only.....
    I am trying to embrace the imperfections in my quilting and love each project no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous! I love all the thought and care you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very sweet to think of the sibling. I'm sure that it made the transition to big brother a bit easier. And the bright colors are so baby friendly.
    I'm sure it's adored by the whole family.

    ReplyDelete