Monday, March 19, 2012

it's a cowl, it's a shrug, it's....finished!

So! February's whimseybox included a fat quarter of silver satin—which I managed to take one really bad picture of before I cut it. But, here it is, cut:

I thought that this would make one side of a fabulous cowl. With red velvet on the other side—since I am not the sort of person who wears satin or velvet on a regular day, why not?!

So of I went to Joanns to find me some red velvet. And, of course, the only affordable red velvet they had was crushed and stretchy (think gymnast-wear!). But sometimes you need to live a little, because doing is the best way to learn. Right? I spent a lot of time on this project telling myself that.

To keep it from looking too boring, I added some sequins (from the January whimseybox) and beads (from my stash). I embroidered them on both sides at the same time. They are supposed to look like a curlique, but it didn't turn out quite like what was in my mind. On the red side I used red beads, on the silver side I used silvery ones. I may add more if I am so inclined. Or if people ask why I put a T on my cowl.

As cowl
As silver shrug
As red shrug

All in all it worked out. I could make a huge list of all the things that went horribly wrong illustrate my mathematical incompetence didn't work out and how this is barely like my original idea. But I will spare you the gory details.

Now I need a black dress.

Linked to:
Sew Modern Monday
Sew Darn Crafty
Fabric Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment