Sunday, August 29, 2010

The best split pea soup ever

Can I say that? At 4pm I realized I had no dinner plan, so grabbed the bag of split peas I got a couple of weeks ago for just such an occasion. I wanted to clear out some veggies in preparation for  tomorrow's CSA box. This is what I did:

Surprising Split Pea Soup

1 pack chopped pancetta (from Trader Joe's)
1 large chopped sweet onion (about 2 cups)
5 ribs celery, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
--Cook these ingredients in a soup pot til softened

Then add:
1.5 cups split peas, rinsed and drained
6 cups water
fresh ground pepper to taste
kosher salt to taste

--Bring to a boil, mixing well. Turn down to a heavy simmer.

Add:
1 broiled, peeled, cored, seeded, chopped green bell pepper (I was broiling while the rest of the veggies were softening)

Stir often, keeping an eye on the peas. Once the peas were in, I cooked for about an hour. Add more water if needed (I added 2 more cups).

Add (or not!) additional salt and pepper to your taste.

Don't mention the pepper to your kids, and then watch them gobble.

This makes about 4 main course servings.

Sorry for the lack of picture--I had no idea it would be so yummy. And, really, split pea soup is not that great to look at, now is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment