I dug through my stash, and indeed even had a solid flannel, probably form a Halloween costume over 10 years ago. Time to use that!
The pattern is well written and easy to follow—what a relief after the last few things I have sewn. I learned a bit about the limits of my sewing machine: 10 layers is too many; and working on something curved and small is not a strength. Getting that binding sewn on was a nightmare in the front.
Changes I will make for next time:
• Reduce the width! I have narrow feet but wear off-the-shelf slippers all the time. These are crazy wide, even with socks. And socks make them too short....
• Add a quarter inch too the length. The pattern is only sized up to a 10.
• Sew the binding on before attaching the sole. It will be a lot easier to maneuver this through the machine without the sole on.
Change I made this time: rather than overlap the binding in the back, I left several inches unsewed on each end while I sewed the binding to the front 2/3 of the foot opening. Then I unfolded the part left unsewed and fit it so it was the exact right length, sewed a seam, cut the extra off, ironed the seam and then finished sewing the binding on. This enabled me to match my binding and and back seams.
I'm not sure what to do with the thickness issue. I broke 4 or 5 pins just trying to pin the many layers together, and when sewing the 10 thicknesses through the heel, I broke the top thread repeatedly (after it shredded each time). I even ended up with my machine set to "vinyl", which did help, but did not solve the problem. I used Dual Duty thread for the construction. Interestingly, my sewing machine needle did not break.
Linked to: Sew Darn Crafty
Sugar Bee Crafts Take a Look Tuesday
Show and Tell Tuesday
Show and Tell: Gingerly Made